Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A belated post-Thanksgiving post

This post is a little bit delayed and I sincerely hope I'm not missing the boat... really though? Who is as crazy as I am? Who thinks to save the bones of a decimated turkey post-Thanksgiving? Well, hopefully some people do, or some people have turkey on Christmas too. Or some people are really curious how to make a great stock.

I realize, to most stock-making seems cumbersome and time-consuming, but I promise, it's one of the easiest things you can to to spruce up your cooking. And plus, in today's day and age when the hot thing (or the healthy thing) is to be environmentally friendly, may as well use every possible part of the animal you've eaten. And it will save the extra carboard packaging from the prepackaged chicken broth, and, although you see me pouring in a handful of salt (it's kosher salt! not as strong!), I would bet that there's more 

Turkey (or chicken, or beef, or lobster) Stock
Ingredients
1 turkey or 1 chicken (or two!) or any bones (beef, chicken, lobster shells, etc)
2-3 large stalks of celery, cut in 1-2 inch pieces
2-3 large carrots, cut in 1-2 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into chunks
3-4 thick slices (several millimetres) of ginger, outer peel cut off (optional)
2-3 Bay leaves (optional, but highly recommended)
2 pinches saffron (optional)
Any fresh herbs you might have lying around (thyme, parsley, oregano, etc)
8-10 cups water
LOTS of salt (kosher or regular - you will need a larger volume of kosher salt than regular salt, if using)
pepper

Directions
Stick it all in a pot EXCEPT for the salt. Heat it up to a rolling boil. Lower slightly if it's bubbling over - you want it bubbling but not angry. Keep it like this for about 1.5-2 hrs. Skim the top with a big spoon every so often to get rid of any gucky stuff that floats to the top. Add salt midway through. When you think its done, taste it. It should taste like a light broth - flavourful but a little too light to be soup on its own. 

Prepped veggies
Our frozen turkey carcass! Yes, I'm a little crazy. At least I didn't name her...
Sticking it all in! (The turkey didn't fir in completely, so once soft I cut it into smaller pieces)
Kosher salt
Adding my favourite ingredient to the mix


With a touch of saffron

At this point, you can either strain and freeze right away, or if you're like me, stick it in the fridge so the fat/gunk solidifies. Once it's cool, skim the top again (it'll be easier now). Remove bones. You can either strain the broth if you want it totally clear, or merely ladle it into Ziplock containers carrot/celery/onion chunks and all, and either freeze for later use (vegetable soup, butternut squash soup, braised leeks, etc) or use immediately!



Congealed gunk on the top once cooled in the fridge. Skim off and remove bones.
Putting the finished product in containers for later use!

2 comments:

  1. those little maxime hands!! :) yayy. Turkey stock are nice and clear. I look forward to seeing some love for Vietnamese cuisiine on here ... as I'm sure will come in due time. Happy Holidays, Max oi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so terrible on grammar, I promise. That should read "turkey stock instructions are nice and clear." ;)

    ReplyDelete

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!