Thursday, August 2, 2012

We Are HIPStars! (and we like puns)

Oh goodness me! I am a terrible blogger apparently - these past few months have flown by and blogging fell through the cracks. I'm so sorry! I also contemplated starting a new blog for this year (I'm in DC - more on that in a second), but couldn't fathom asking people to follow me at a different address for a THIRD time, so although "Salt and Balsamic" doesn't inherently refer to the non-profit world, global health, advocacy for sex workers and injecting drug users, or advocacy, I feel like keeping it despite the anachronism.

So, DC? What am I up to here? Fabulous question. I'm here for the year on a Global Health Corps (GHC) fellowship. GHC places "emerging leaders in global health" at local non-profits in the United States and in parts of Africa. As a Canadian, I couldn't apply for the positions in Africa, so technically I'm their international applicant (which is funny to me, considering how much time I've spent in the US these past 6 years, but regardless...). GHC seeks to mobilize the next generation of global health leaders. According to their website:

GHC believes that a global movement of individuals and organizations fighting for improved health outcomes and access to healthcare for the poor is necessary in order to change the unacceptable status quo of extreme inequity. GHC works to strengthen this movement by recruiting, training, and supporting the movement’s future leaders, diversifying the pool of young people working in global health, and amplifying the impact of individuals through the formation of a strong community of leaders.

GHC provides opportunities for young professionals from diverse backgrounds to work on the frontlines of the fight for global health equity in year-long fellowships. Our fellows have a measurable impact on the health of the communities in which they work, and draw upon that experience and the GHC alumni network to deepen their impact throughout their careers.So where does that leave me? After an intense two weeks of training at Yale (which I wish I could detail for you here, but I'd certainly lose readers), we're here in DC. Needless to say, the training was invigorating, inspiring, a little frightening (in a positive way! Frightening in the sense that we have the potential to make such a difference), and FUN! It re-lit the fire under my butt to doggedly pursue justice for a cause I believe in - health equity, despite background, race, gender, lifestyle, etc.


I am placed at a non-profit called HIPS - Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive (www.hips.org) - with my co-fellow Jonathan (see picture below). HIPS works with male, female and transsexual sex workers and injecting drug users using a harm reduction model. Essentially, harm reduction is the idea that if individuals are engaging in potentially dangerous or harmful behaviors, we help support them to be as safe as possible. We do clean needle exchange, condom distribution, counseling, daytime syringe exchange, overnight mobile outreach in the HIPS van, etc.

From day 1, we were given a crash course in HIPS-related activities (the first crash course of many!). Our supervisor has been a total gem and an important guiding resource. She gave us a detailed explanation of the protocols, what the different needles are called, what the multitude of syringes are used for (injecting silicone, hormones, or drugs), and how the other supplies are used (cookers, bandaids, antiseptic, etc.). Yes, to a white girl from Montreal a lot of the info was new to me, but what struck me wasn't the plethora of supplies, but the degree of casualness (is that a word?) with which she explained these things to us, as though she were handing out samples of make-up or helping someone find the right kind of cough syrup. She was open, normalizing, and wholly non-judgmental, both to us as newbies and to the people who came in asking for works (AKA syringes and accompanying materials). I certainly have a ton to learn, but the community here is so warm, positive and affirming, I'm already excited for the journey!

You can keep up with the newly started HIPS blog hips-dc.tumblr.com, "like" us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter @HIPSDC

More on my first daytime needle exchange and an awesome story that happened our first day here in a later post, but until then here's a laughable photo of me and Jonathan at the HIPS fundraiser our first Thursday here for the International AIDS Conference. Yes, I put fake eyelashes on him. He looks fab, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. Kelly! I think I accidentally deleted your comment, but YES! I'm back with a vengeance and I promise to write semi-consistently:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you get such a cool, lucrative opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's certainly not lucrative in the financial sense, but lucrative in the emotional sense! It is a great fellowship through Global Health Corps, you can check them out at ghcorps.org, and they recruit once a year!

    ReplyDelete

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!