Thursday, February 16, 2012

Does ignoring a celeb sighting make you a true New Yorker?

Whew! I'm bad, I know. Who goes on a two month hiatus from blogging and then actually expects anyone to follow it again? I'm sorry, I let you down. Please don't be too disappointed, and please understand that I was thinking of you all throughout my intense MCAT studying (and I have the food photos to prove it). Between MCAT insanity and moving to New York for an internship with the Clinton Global Initiative 3 days post-exam, I haven't had all that much time to breathe, let alone decorate my room, upload music onto my first smartphone ever, or write blogposts. I HAVE had time to go on some culinary forays though, to begin to explore my adorable neighborhood of the West Village, and to catch up with a few old friends. That said, I'm reinventing this blog slightly - no longer will it predominantly be about cooking (although don't get me wrong, I'll definitely include cooking things when I do whip something up - it's just that evenings are my one time to socialize, so it can be lonely cooking for one), but about exploring NYC, ridiculous dates, funny stories, ethereal restaurants and the like.

To start, I'll give you my first celebrity sighting of this New York session: Andy Samberg! In the words of my mother, I was plutzing. For those of you who don't know, he's a hilarious comedian often on SNL, in movies and in skits. Check out these two links to see why I love him so much:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Val and I were out for a lovely Wednesday bite at my neighborhood haunt, the little owl - yes, it IS as delicious as people claim - and Samberg and his girlfriend walk in halfway through our meal and sit down right next to us. Literally, so close, I could have reached over and pinched his cheeks if I wanted to (I didn't. Don't worry). As always happens with celebrities when they aren't followed by an entourage or doused in 7 layers of makeup, we weren't sure if it was him or just some hipster-looking Jewishy New York guy on a weekday date with his love interest. However, as the night wore on and we snuck multiple wannabe-casual glances in his direction, it became clear that it was surely who we thought it was: he slipped out to take a call, he wore thick face-covering glasses, he wouldn't make eye contact with neither me nor Val. I considered leaning over as we were leaving and saying in a low voice, "I know this is weird, but I had 'Dick in a Box' on my workout playlist for a year." But something told me that he didn't want to be bothered, so - upon the waitress' oration of the dessert specials - all I managed get out was a nervous, "The panna cotta is amazing!" Alas, Andy Samberg is not my new best friend, but maybe I'll see him around the 'hood.

4 comments:

  1. is he still still dating joanna newsom

    aka this talented lady? (if be starstruck seeing HER)

    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2010/5/14/1273847885997/Joanna-Newsom-Performs-At-006.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! That was totally her! Who is she??

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's a singer. she's incredible. she plays this ginormous harp (wearing 5 inch stilettos) and her songs are just beautiful. she's also kind of goofy and cute (total girl crush as you probably gathered at this point). i cried seeing her live a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!