Sunday, December 25, 2011

(Healthy!) Turkey salad

Leftover turkey from Christmas? Look no further, I have solutions! Firstly, save the carcass and make some simple, easy and delicious turkey stock as I documented in a post-Thanksgiving blogpost. But what about mountains of turkey leftover that you want to eat now? I love chicken and turkey salad, but I find it's always laden with an overabundance of mayo. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a touch of mayo here of there, but I find it a bit excessive and frankly, gross, when there are gobs of it in what I'm eating. Here's a fresh alternative that hits the same spot. Let's get cracking!

(Healthy) Turkey Salad
Ingredients
1 cup turkey, in chunks (mine were about 1 cm cubed)
3 tablespoons thick, plain Greek yogurt
1/2 quartered grapes or raisins
2-3 tablespoons chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
LOTS of dill, chopped (1-2 tablespoons, but you can also use cilantro, parsley, tarragon, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
A handful of walnuts or pecans, broken in pieces
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Note: chopped celery, fennel or cubed apple would all be nice additions too!

Directions
Add ingredients. Stir to mix. Pretty simple, eh? Serve on salads, sandwiches, wrapped in rice paper or lettuce leaves, or fork and extra bite straight from the fridge (my modus operandi).


I ran out of grapes so I added some extra raisins to balance it out.


Nothing better than some chopped onions!
Most ingredients
Sriracha is my one true love
I mixed walnuts and pecans
All mixed together
Yummm, a post-studying snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!