Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Pie (booziness optional...but who doesn't like a bit of extra booze?)

I love Thanksgiving dinner. I never realized how much I loved it before I went to an American school; I just didn't get the point – why celebrate a season that marks the death of (or bedtime of) most plants? Why travel across the country to be with family for just a few days? Why eat at 3 in the afternoon? (I still don't really get that one, but you know Americans and their football...). But as I said, going to Bowdoin, a liberal arts school in Maine, changed my views – I now embrace the camaraderie that Thanksgiving engenders, I appreciate the family theme, or the idea that this event should commemorate and honour not only summer's bounty, but also fall's fleeting beauty, and winter's serene hibernation.
Quintessential fall in Vermont

Ironically, my first recipe post is for something that I like, but I don't love: pumpkin pie. I always think I like it, and I enjoy making it, but I think I'm more of a pecan pie aficionado, and I KNOW I relish pear or apple exponentially more. But still, nothing says “fall” and nothing says “Thanksgiving” like pumpkin pie, so here's my doctored recipe of a good ol' classic from epicurious.com. Enjoy!


Citrus Pumpkin Pie with Candied Pecans

Butter Pie Crust
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour (or mixture of white and whole wheat flour)
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter cut into ½-inch chunks
3 tablespoons (approx) ice water

Mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in processor. Add butter; pulse until coarse meal forms. Gradually blend in enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disc. Wrap in plastic and chill 2 hours or overnight (you can also put in freezer for about 20 minutes, but it won't roll out as well).
Coarse meal-like mixture

Moist clumps
Citrus Pumpkin Pie (booziness optional...but who doesn't want a bit of extra booze?)
1 (15-oz) can PURE pumpkin
¾ cup packed golden brown sugar
1 to 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 to 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
pinch of ground cloves
3 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 to 2 teaspoons scotch whisky (optional)

Position rack in centre of oven; preheat to 375°F. Spray with nonstick spray or butter 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish. Roll out dough on floured surface to a 13-inch round (if no rolling pin, cover a wine bottle in plastic wrap – it works wonders! Also, remember to roll in all directions so the dough is of even thickness! You can roll it out on floured wax paper to make it easier to lift for the next step). Transfer dough to prepared dish. Fold edges under and crimp, forming high border (moisten hands with water or milk to crimp edges and to seal parts that won't stick). Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans or rice (this is so it doesn't slide down or puff up). Bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans/rice. Bake until edges are light golden, pressing crust back with a fork if bubbles form, about 7 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
Dough rolled out
Dough rolled, put into pie dish, and edges crimped
Puree pumpkin in processor. Min in next 6 ingredients. Add vanilla, then add eggs 1 at a time, pulsing after each addition. Gradually add cream, processing until just blended. Add lemon and orange peel, and if desired, scotch whisky. Process until blended, about 5 to 10 seconds longer.
Pureed pumpkin with spices
Adding eggs (clearly I forgot to do it one at a time...)

Adding cream

Adding zests


Pour filling into crust. Bake until edges are puffed and centre is set, about 1 hour. Cool on rack. Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Make pecans and decorate pie only several hours before serving.

Candied Pecans
½ tablespoon of unsalted butter
½ cup pecan halves
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt

Melt butter in saucepan over high heat. Add remaining ingredients. Stir about 4 minutes until a glossy coating forms on nuts. Cool on foil. WATCH OUT! Nuts will be hot. Yummmm, hot nuts...whoops!

Garnish pie with nuts once cooled (I like to make pretty designs...)

NOTE: These pecans are great for anything! Salads, snacks in a bowl, cheese plates...the possibilities are countless...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!