Sunday, October 16, 2011

Spiced chickpea nibbles

Perhaps I'm on a new-snack-recipe kick, but the kale chips prompted me to do a little more fun-and-easy snack searching. My friends and I were going to the 10 PM special at Lemeac - a fantastic deal for anyone who hasn't yet discovered it (and one of my favourite restaurants in Montreal, deal or not, but I'll leave the review to Val's Bits and Bites) so I wanted to serve little munchies that go well with drinks, but nothing to take the place of the tantalizing tartares, soups, short ribs, and calamari to come. Kale chips were a go-to, especially since they were already on my mind, but what other deceivingly easy snacks could I come up with? Spiced chickpeas! Healthy (they're baked) and sassy (spices lend the usually-boring chickpea some zest), they're perfect pre-dinner nibbles.

Spiced Chickpeas

1 15 oz can of chickpeas
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
a total of about 3-4 teaspoons of mixed spices of your choice, but here is my suggestion:
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or less, for those who don't love spice)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Many spices! I didn't actually land up using them all

Preheat oven to 375 F. Drain chickpeas and rinse with cold water until there is no more foam. Place on paper towel and gently roll to dry with another paper towel.

Mix spices together in a small bowl (I skipped this step, but it's a good idea to ensure even distribution of spices over the chickpeas). Toss chickpeas with olive oil and spice mix. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes or until they are slightly browned, a touch crunchy, but not as hard as little pebbles! Serve warm or cooled.


Rolling chickpeas to dry
Spice mix, olive oil, and chickpeas

Toss to mix

Roasted chickpeas
A simple, easy, and yummy little amuse bouche!

1 comment:

  1. you're sitting right next to me, but keep posting the photos!! They make me salivate :)

    ReplyDelete

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!