Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An Ode to Mike Spiak: Crack Bread

I don't know why I'm giving away this recipe so early in the game. It (the recipe) might be the only reason why I have friends. No matter who I make it for, it's always a huge success (and I don't get it, because it's so easy!). But it's one of my favourites, and definitely not to be missed, so here you go!


Normally things entitled "crack" connote not-so-good things: a cracked mirror (bad luck), a cracked/broken heart (never fun), and the drug crack (enough said). Why is this recipe called "Crack Bread??" Well, it didn't used to always be the case. At one point in time I referred to it as "Chocolate Chip Banana Bread," and prior to that, Martha was even credited when I called it "Martha Stewart's Chocolate Chip Banana Bread." But over the years I've made my own permutations and adjustments, and it no longer looks like Martha's (do I dare assert that, gasp! maybe it's BETTER?). I decided to tackle making it in Zambia with the most fragrant, luscious bananas straight from the trees, unlike the cardboard, starchy versions we get here, and my friends always quickly demolished it. Inevitably, there was always a pathetic inch-by-inch square lazily covered in plastic wrap since no one ever wanted to be the final decimator. The cockroaches were the last ones to greedily pick at the crumbs. Hopefully when you make it cockroaches won't even be in the picture. 


Here's a haiku in honour (for you, I'll even write honor) of Spiak:


Oh, Michael Spiak
How you devoured Crack Bread
In Zambian heat.


Far away from home
I am a good Jewish mother
So you made me feel.


No more excuses
Add it to your repertoire
Pizza bread, chicken.


Crack Bread (aka Chocolate Chip Banana Bread)




Makes 1 loaf
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
3/4 to 1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour (can also be a mixture of whole wheat and white)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (reduce to 1/2 if using salted butter)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (sometimes I make it 2!)
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream (or thick, plain yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla (or 2...)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
One package of semi-sweet chocolate chips!

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or by hand with a fork! Or with electric beaters! Or with old-school egg beaters!) cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (note: if you're not using an electric mixer, melt the butter almost fully in the microwave. Your bread won't have quite as much volume but it will taste the same). Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
Creamed butter and sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined.
I like to use a sifter when available, but it's not imperative
Add bananas, sour cream or yogurt, and vanilla; mix to combine. Scrape down sides if extra unmixed batter sticks there.
Yummmm baby food
Stir it up!
Pushing down sides
Stir in nuts if using, and chocolate chips! Pour into prepared pan.
With chocolate chips and nuts
In pan!


Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (or with a few moist crumbs), about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

Note: This bread freezes really well! If you live alone, feel free to bake it, cut it in half, and eat part now while wrapping the second half tightly in plastic wrap.


In my excitement, I forgot to take a picture of the final product! I know, what a ditz. But here are two friends, Alla and Steve (and Jamie overlooking them) eating crack bread while waiting for our flight to Tanzania. Don't they look happy?

3 comments:

  1. Can you substitute canned pumpkin for the banana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm good question...I never have but I'm sure you could - the consistency of canned pumpkin is about the same as that of bananas! Two things to watch out for though: 1) make sure your canned pumpkin isn't pumped full of sugar (and if it is, you can cut down on the sugar in the recipe by 1/8 or 1/4 cup), and 2) I'm not sure how well chocolate chips go with pumpkin bread, but if it sounds appealing to you, go for it, and if not substitute in more nuts, dried cranberries, or anything else that seems exciting!

    ReplyDelete

As one of my best friends Val said (I'm TOTALLY stealing from her right now), blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from you, so tell me what you think!